From: Anthony Thompson
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, 30 October, 2007 01:07
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Cullet

John C. La Rue, Jr. wrote:
> I suspect that any coloring agents would have been removed when the
> cullet was melted in the furnaces, much as carbon and trace additives
> are removed when scrap iron and steel are melted...the additives unite
> with the limestone to form slag, which is removed, thus leaving pure
> iron.

Different process, John. In fact, colored glass is QUITE hard
to re-clarify. You can mix brown and green glass, but not put either
one into clear glass. And blue glass is a serious contaminant for any
other glass color.
There are several reasons, but an important one is that glass
melting is a very slow process, mostly due to the viscosity and
resulting slow circulation and mixing of the glass--24-hour melts are
common, whereas steelmaking can be accomplished in 90 minutes or less.
(That's the reason that glass recycling really saves little energy; the
process takes about as long, and about as much energy, whether you use
raw materials or cullet. But you DO take all those bottle-size voids
out of landfills.) Another difference from iron refining is that there
is no slag equivalent in glassmaking.

Anthony Thompson
Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering
University of California, Berkeley
thompsonmarytony@...