Re: The location of the mysterious Hamlin, Minnesota

Stokes John

Au contraire, there is a hamlet in Minnesota named Hamlin. See below. There is also a Hamline (with an "e") University in St. Paul, with quite a famous choir, and at one time a well known basketball team.

Hamlin is a township in Lac qui Parle County, Minnesota.
The latitude of Hamlin is 44.943N. The longitude is -96.175W.
It is in the Central Standard time zone. Elevation is 1,093 feet.

The population, at the time of the 2000 census, was 185.
John Stokes
Bellevue, WA

To: STMFC@...: railfreightcars@...: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:23:15 -0500Subject: Re: [STMFC] The location of the mysterious Hamlin, Minnesota

Bill,There is a major street in St Paul called "Hamline Avenue". That may be wherethis usage came from. I will agree that there is no such place as "Hamlin MN".The WFE car shop in St Paul was called "Jackson Street Shops". Think the buildingsare now gone. After WFE vacated them they were owned by a car scrapper that alsodabbled a little in locomotive re-sales.On a map if you follow the GN/NP up from 7th Street the GN splits and goes straightWest at Westminster St. The NP coninues North for a little ways before headingWest. The WFE shop was on the GN line just West of where it goes under I35E.Their main shop remains today at Hillyard WA. They do occasionaly bid on work.Overhauled a lot of BN waycars during the 80's and early 90's.Russ----- Original Message ----- From: lnbill To: STMFC@... Sent: Thursday, 01 November, 2007 09:31Subject: [STMFC] The location of the mysterious Hamlin, MinnesotaMany questions arose during my presention on the FGE/WFE/BRE fleet about where the heck is Hamlin, Minnesota. In exploring the documents I copied just a few days earlier in Saint Paul, Hamlin was actually the name of the Western Fruit shops in Saint Paul. Hopefully many of you in attendence are also on this list. If the Dick brothers are not on this list, can someone pass this info on to them.Bill WelchYahoo! Groups Links