From: STMFC@... on behalf of William Bryk
Sent: Thu 11/1/2007 1:28 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] The location of the mysterious Hamlin, Minnesota

Hannibal Hamlin was Abraham Lincoln's first vice president. A former
Senator from Maine, he returned to the Senate after his retirement from the
vice presidency. Given Minnesota's enthusiastic support for the war effort,
it stands to reason that some settlement may have named itself for him
before it faded into obscurity. I don't think there's a relationship
between Hamlin and Hamline. Remember, St. Paul was once named Pig's Eye
before the respectable element took over, and I believe there's a GN yard
that bore that name into modern times.

Regards,
William Bryk

On 11/1/07, Michael Mang <mnmang@...> wrote:

Bill,

I enjoyed your talk at Naperville. I'm not a GN expert, but I found on an
old map of the Twin Cities a GN yard (near Hamline University) called
"Hamline Transfer". There is a Koppers Coke, and some other unlabeled
trackage on the map just south and a little west of the NP's Como Shops.

There is also a GN Engineer's contract here:
http://www.jaysworks.com/1637/agree/gnhog.html that says "Transfer
assignments, as now constituted, include such service between the
following
points:

Saint Paul: Between Como Yard or points East of Como Yard and Hamline, W.
F.
E. Shop Yard, Koppers Coke, or Fair Grounds, or points West thereof."
Since
these points are all in very close proximity, I would believe that the WFE
cars weighed at Hamlin(e) are being weighed in this vicinity.

Michael Mang