From: Frank Greene
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:57 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Cars for shipment of nuclear materials processing facilities

To carry or to escort?
KL
L&N 1650 - 1653 were baggage dormitory cars rebuilt from 10-sec/3dbr
Pullmans. Steve Johnson's L&N Color Guide, Vol. 2 states "...they were
assigned to haul nuclear material for atomic/hydrogen weapons to and from
the AEC's facility at Oak Ridge, TN.... Dorm space was provided for four
armed security personnel ... stenciling near the side doors 'ASSIGNED UNITED
STATES ATOMIC ENERGY COMMISSION LOADING ONLY. WHEN EMPTY RETURN TO L&N R.
R. OAK RIDGE TENN.'"

The caption for a photo of 1653 at Memphis in 1976 notes it is accompanying
an Oak Ridge Operation Office (OROX) box car. So, escort service as well.

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN