Re: ash

Richard Dermody <ddermody@...>

Ed:

I think you're confusing ashes and cinder.

Cinders are the particles of coal burned but not reduced to ashes. These were what railroads used as fill/ballast (usually on secondary track).

Ashes are the very much finer particles of combustion - don't know what happened to them in other parts of the country, but in the Northeast in the 50's, ashes from coal home furnaces usually ended up on sidewalks and driveways to provide a footing on snow/ice in the winter.

Dick

On Nov 2, 2007, at 10:46 AM, ed_mines wrote:

How was ash from burning coal discarded?

I know railroads used it as fill. Was ash collected from homeowners for
anything but the dump? If so, how was it shipped? The ash I'm
accustomed to (from charcoal) would blow all over.

Ed