Re: Tank car placards

Richard Hendrickson

On Nov 4, 2007, at 5:27 AM, Philip Lord wrote:

This tank car of mine was lettered for A.T. & S.F. and when my
brother (who drives and mechanics on a 1:1 scale rr) told me such a
car would never appear on the LVRR in New York in the 1940s. Last
night, paging through my new copy of "Trackside at Sayre....etc.",
there is a late 1940s early 1950s shot of the LVRR near my prototype
area and plain as day sits a A.T. & S.F. boxcar. Now is it more
"wrong" to see a tank car up here or are boxcars living in a different
traffic pattern?
Phil, as I've pointed out in another post, Santa Fe tank cars very
seldom went even a short distance off-line, as they were used almost
exclusively in company fuel oil and water service. So your brother is
right that they wouldn't have turned up on Long Island. The railroads
were never required by the ICC to provide tank cars for revenue
service; almost all those cars were either privately owned or leased to
shippers by one of companies that specialized in tank car leasing like
Union Tank Line, General American, Shippers Car Line, or North
American. Box cars were an entirely different matter, as they traveled
freely in interchange to all parts of North America; Santa Fe boxcars
were a familiar sight everywhere, as the ATSF had one of the country's
largest box car fleets.

Richard Hendrickson