Re: Brake Hoses Redux.

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Last evening I attended a dinner in the Great
Hall of the California State Railroad Museum, our
table nestled up to the lifting injector of UP
0-6-0 (#4466, Lima 1920). Although not feeling
very chipper, I did take the opportunity to look
briefly around at air hoses and brackets- and
every one that I saw was at 30ยบ- including the UP
switcher. I especially looked at the FGE ice
refrigerator car (#35832, 1924), and as Dennis
would have surmised, it had a very simple
bent-down strap hanger for the air hose, the hose
being suspended below by a U-bolt at the end.

I did note that when the car was repainted and
restored in 1980, however, the restorers failed
to hammer down the simple heavy sheet metal
locking device that was designed to keep the hex
nut fitting between the angle cock and pipe from
inadvertently turning (a function usually
performed by simply tightening the U-bolt so that
a hex nut "flat" is pressed against the underside
of the strap/hanger).

More as I learn more.

Denny
--