From: benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 1:26 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Duryea underframes

Phil Marcus asked:
"I remember reading somewhere that PRR cabooses Na and N8 had Duryea
or some other design of cushioned underframe. Can anyone confirm
and/or expand on this information?"

Class NA - definitely not. These 19th century cars well predated the
Duryea Cushion Underframe. What source stated that these cars had
them?
http://prr.railfan.net/freight/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=NA-.gif&fr=cl

I'll check on Class N8 this evening after work. As for other freight
cars, the Pennsy didn't experiment with cushioned underframes until
1954, when they took delivery of the 20 Class X48 PS-1 boxcars and
rebuilt 100 Class X29E, both with Pullman-Standard proprietary
cushioned underframes.

Ben Hom