Empty car routing.

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Apart from my resonse to Russ, which will follow shortly, I'd like to mention how our club simulates empty car waybills.

We have quite a number of waybills which are removed from the car pocket after one, two, three or four moves, depending on the situation. Each car pocket for a general service car has a home route instruction, to move to the home road at a particular junction. [As I write this, it occurs to me that I should add the SCO-90 outlets for box cars if indirect connections.]

When a local freight or switch job conductor finds a car pocket without a waybill, he simply follows the home route instruction.

We can't tell our operators to follow car service rules because we don't have many members who will tolerate that level of detail and learn the rules.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478