Making Model parts through Rapid Prototyping, was "Gloss coat for decalling"

bdg1210 <Bruce_Griffin@...>

Group members,

Based on this and other comments about the current issue of Fine
Scale Modeler I purchased a copy to learn about using Future for a
gloss decaling finish. What I found more intersting was an article
about developing parts using CAD and online 3D printing to get the
part delievered to your door. It appears expensive, but a great
chance to get that one part you need. Has anyone used a similar
process to get steam era freight car parts developed?

Regards,
Bruce D. Griffin
Summerfield, NC

--- In STMFC@..., Jack Burgess <jack@...> wrote:

The current issue of Finescale Modeler has an insert on air-
brushing of
acrylic paints (but I will still stick with Floquil) and an article
on
the use of Future. In reading past articles in Finescale Modeler,
it
seems that Future is the primary choice for plane, automobile, etc.
modelers. I haven't used it yet in an airbrush but have brush
painted it
on just portions of wood models to allow for decaling and it worked
just
fine. I'm sure that it won't hurt the Floquil. You need to be
careful
only if applying a heavy coat of a lacquer-based paint (such as
Floquil)
over an enamel or water-based paint...

Jack Burgess
yosemitevalleyrr.com