Re: Making Model parts through Rapid Prototyping, was "Gloss coat for decalling"

Jack Burgess <jack@...>

Jeff wrote >
Commercial models are available made using the rapid prototyping technique. The outfit is called Smoky Mountain Model Works and is run by Jim King. Jim was making O-scale models but was unhappy with the degree of support from the O-scale community and switched over to S-scale about a year ago. He has also made some HO products under contract to others; the one that comes to mind is a SOU gondola (which was also the prototype of his first S-scale product)
Tom Madden gave a clinic at Naperville a couple of years ago. While RP is slick, there is a huge learning curve to making good models using this technique, and at this point only somebody whose job gives them access to the equipment (as Jim King has) can economically use it for making models.
The article that Bruce referred to makes this particular type of RP accessible to the average modeler. There is a need to "draft" the part in 3-D but the rest of the work can be out-sourced. While the resulting part sounds expensive ($25 for a air compressor in 1/32 scale as I recall....I don't have access to the article right now), it would be worthwhile if the resulting RP part can then used as a master for casting duplicates in resin. The only question that I have is whether or not the parts are as "clean" as an equivalent scratchbuilt part. I plan to give it a try...

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com