Re: Tank Car Co. names beginning with Sun.

Richard Hendrickson

On Nov 18, 2007, at 11:10 AM, destron@... wrote:

... I have a photo of a tank car
marked "Union Oil Co of Canada, Vancouver, BC", UOKX 10010. Did this
have
anything to do with the Union Oil Co of California? I don't know the
date
of the photo, but it is on archbar trucks. Does anyone have an idea
around
what time this may have been? UOKX is not listed in 1953 ORER... was
it
listed previously?
Union Oil of Canada was Union Oil of California's western Canadian
subsidiary. I have several photos of UOKX cars dating from the late
1920s. The 11/31 ORER shows 70 cars under OKX reporting marks. By
1945, 55 of those cars were still listed in the ORER, but they were
gone by 1947 and the entire Union Oil tank car fleet had been
renumbered, so it's hard to tell whether they were sold or absorbed
into the UOCX fleet.

Richard Hendrickson