Re: Making Model parts through Rapid Prototyping, was "Gloss coat for decalling"

Charlie Vlk

There certainly are major learning curve issues in both the 3D Modeling and Rapid Prototyping end of creating parts or entire
body shells.
Even in HO some degree of "toy train designer" must be included in order for the parts to "read" properly.... no point in rendering
something to exact scale if a layer of paint is going to obscure it.
There are four or more different processes for making RP parts and only two of them that we've used so far are satisfactory for
Z, N and HO sized parts.
Most tooling for commercial models is now being done in 3D although the use of RP is rather limited because of the costs involved.
3D design drawings allow viewing almost photo realistic renderings of the parts and assemblies besides generating interference
checks and sectional views for engineering analysis of designs prior to cutting tooling. Having checked 2D Shop Drawings in a
prior career and 2D Engineering Drawings for Models in my current one, it is much easier to look at 3D models to get an idea what
the finished parts will look like. It is virtually impossible to check how compound curved surfaces will look in 2D but in 3D you get
a good preview if it they are correct before tooling is started.
Charlie Vlk