Re: Western Refrigerator 9000-series Lessee

Andy Laurent <arlaurent@...>

Bob, I would say that car has the standard gray/freight car red WRX
scheme. Either the color on the slide has shifted, or it was dirty. A
light coating of brown dust oftentimes made the light gray sides
appear yellowish.

These cars were used by/lease to the GB&W. WRX was a GB&W subsidiary.
In the 1960s, cars began to be leased to specific industries, but in
the time period of this list, they were in general reefer service for
GB&W customers including cheese, evap milk, potatoes, and such.

Check out this link for some photos:
<http://www.greenbayroute.com/photoroster.htm#Refrig.>

Andy Laurent

Bob

I have pre-1960 scans of WRX 9047, 9099, both leased to GB&W.
They are b/w so I can't say what the paint scheme is, but as
far as I know, GB&W cars only had gray sides.

Tim O'Connor

At 11/18/2007 11:36 PM Sunday, you wrote:
A partial view of 40' wood reefer WRX #9048 appears in a photo
posted
on STMFC (see AC&Y ex-P&N boxcars). I had not noticed the Western
Refrigerator Lines Reefer before. The photo was taken by Ed
Kirstatter
at AC&Y's East Akron yard in 1959. Curious if there are records
for
the ca 1950's lessors of WRX 9000-series reefers... who leased WRX
#9048? No other identification is visible except the end
reporting
marks. WRX #9048 has pale yellow sides with freight car red ends
and
roof. Note Accurail and Branchline both offer WRX 9000-series
reefers
(Green Bay & Western, lessor) in a grey scheme.