Re: Western Refrigerator 9000-series Lessee

Thomas Baker

I just picked up on the discussion about WRX leasing and its relation to the North Western Refrigerator Lines. Perhaps someone out there can clarify something that has puzzled me for years. I have a photo taken in 1964 of a plug-door, insulated refrigerator car in the reporting marks of the North Western Refrigerator Lines but with a CGW so-called "Lucky Strike" emblem on the opposite side of where the reporting marks are.

I had no idea that the CGW leased refrigerator cars from any source other than URTX. Could this have been a painting mistake. It's hard to believe that someone in the paint shop would have made such a slip up. Nineteen sixty four is four years before the C&NW absorbed the CGW. Any explanations?

Tp,