Re: Atlas ICC 105 tank

Richard Hendrickson

On Nov 19, 2007, at 5:45 AM, Garth Groff wrote:

Yes, LP gas would have been a better term. My fictional Sacramento
Northern Pennington Branch will include a fuel dealer, and was
thinking
LP gas would be an appropriate product. Mind you, I have no evidence
of
such cars on the SN, but it is very likely that by the late 1950s
there
were dealers that would have received by rail. I remember LP gas or
propane being delivered by truck in northern California when I was
growing up in the 1950s. Since I am concentrating on SHPX and UTLX
regular tank cars, I think I will look for those road names among the
Atlas 105s.
LP gas rapidly became popular following World War II as a household and
industrial fuel in rural areas which were not served by natural gas
pipelines; that's why so many ICC-105s were built new in the late '40s
and early '50s. And most regional distributors received it by rail.
BTW, however, I have a photo of a California Despatch Line ICC-105
which was not in LP gas service but was used to haul anhydrous ammonia,
so not all ICC-105s carried propane and butane.

Richard Hendrickson