Re: Tank Car Co. names beginning with Sun.

John Hile <john66h@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Dan Gledhill <gledhilldan@...> wrote:

Hello ,
I've been trying to identify an early rivetted tank car
that has only part of it's original company name left on it's upper
side.The name as I can best make out begins with the word SUN in dark
8 to 10 inch Roman print and ends with the words OIL COMPANY in the
same style.It appears as if the dome may have been silver and also the
upper tank,as a little of the original paint exists on the tanks top
surfaces.There is some smaller lettering stenciled on the cars lower
sides ,which is approx. 3 to 4 inchs high and reads LOS ANGELIS while
further along the cars side in similar print are the name CALIFORNIA.
With all the recent posts on Atlas tank car 105 lately and
several mentions of California oil companies having the name SUN in
them ,hopefully someone could help identify this one.
Tanks in Advance
Dan
Gledhill

Hello Dan,

Below is what I could find in my resources. Nothing definitive
regarding your tank car, but perhaps somehow useful nonetheless.

Petroleum product suppliers with names that start with "Sun" listed
for California locations in my 1927 Freight Shippers Guide to the
Santa Fe:

San Francisco: Sunset Monarch Oil Co.; Sunset Oil Co.
Los Angeles: Sun Oil Co. of Philadelphia

What cars these companies may have had in this era I do not know, as
my oldest ORER is 1943.

I also have similar notes to those already posted regarding Sunland
Oil being located in Fresno and have a note about a Sunland refinery
in Bakersfield.

John Hile
Blacksburg, VA