Re: Tank Car Co. names beginning with Sun.

Dan Gledhill

Hello John,
Thanks for the link to the images for Sunset Oil Company.I think we may be on to something here.The printing shown at the top of the oil can images is almost identical to that which remains on the rivetted tank car in question.Could be coincidental but it is a somewhat unique early style of print.
Briefly I will say that the car is a10,000 gallon car built by Standard Car in I believe 1926.I described this car in more detail earlier in the year on this site,so we know what it was ,just not how it was painted.It would be truly great to find a photo of some of this fleet but it was likely one of very few painted the same.
The car was numbered CDLX 1051 ,and we know that it received some servicing in the Portland area as the frame was stencilled REPKD.A.T.6-6-37 U.P.R.R.
Sunset oil Co.I am led to believe may have marketed their products in the Portland area ,but why the car would come north on the UP instead of the SP is unknown.
Any idea where Sunset Oil did their refining or where they would have got their crude oil?
Regards,Dan Gledhill
John Hile <john66h@...> wrote:
--- In STMFC@..., "John Hile" <john66h@...> wrote:

Petroleum product suppliers with names that start with "Sun" listed
for California locations in my 1927 Freight Shippers Guide to the
Santa Fe:

San Francisco: Sunset Monarch Oil Co.; Sunset Oil Co.
Los Angeles: Sun Oil Co. of Philadelphia
Dan,

Checked one of my online resources, and found an image of a Los
Angeles City map from Sunset Oil Company, Los Angeles, California.
The site says it is from 1946, and that Sunset was purchased by
Wilshire approx. 1957.

Here is the address of the image: http://www.gassigns.org/sunset.htm

John Hile
Blacksburg, VA