From: proto48er
To: STMFC@...
Sent: 11/26/2007 7:22:25 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: MKT single sheathed boxcar details

--- In STMFC@..., "proto48er" <atkott@...> wrote:

Mark -

The b-end details are similar to the 76001-77500 series cars.

The underframe for the 76001-77500 series has a straight
centersill,
two crossbearers (one located at each door post), one crossmember
between the two crossbearers (at the center of the car), and two
each
crossmembers between each crossbearer and each body bolster. The
air
tank is located to the right of the door, if the b-end of the car
is
to your left. It is mounted on the crossbearer (the left side) and
the first crossmember toward the body bolster (the right side).
The
valve is located directly across from it on the other side of the
car.

The underframe for the 77501-78000 series has a fishbelly
centersill,
two crossbearers located two feet toward the ends of the car from
the
door posts (ie., four feet further apart from the ones in the above
series), two crossmembers located equally spaced between the two
crossbearers (ie., no crossmember in the center of the car), and
only
one each crossmember between each crossbearer and each body
bolster.
The air tank is located (almost) centered on the **left** door post
{again, the b-end of the car is to the left). It is also mounted
on
the crossbearer (the right side) and the crossmember (the left
side)
toward the center of the car. The valve is located directly across
from it (centered on the left door post, if you are standing on the
other side of the car and the b-end is to your right).

Above, a "crossbearer" is a pan with a steel plate riveted to its
bottom. A "crossmember" is just a plain channel shape (a pan also,
but rectangular).

Trucks are mounted on 5'-6" center-to-striker.

Short answer: No, the brake placement between the two car series is
slightly different (by two feet)!

Hope this helps! (All from actual prototype meas. plus M-K-T plans
for each car series).

A.T. Kott
My mistake - the air tank on this series is located almost centered
on the **RIGHT** door post, if viewed with the b-end to the left!
Too hard to describe without drawing it!

Also, Tom, I did not see your post when making my two.

A.T. Kott