Re: TANK CARS

Richard Hendrickson

On Nov 26, 2007, at 5:26 AM, Garth Groff wrote:

Richard,

Can you offer any suggestions about who among the major operators
might
have owned AC&F type 11 cars in the late steam era. I bought F&C's 8K
model with AOX decals, but wondered if any such cars might have been
in
SHPX, GATX, NATX or UTLX fleets? If so, any suggestions on numbers?
To the best of my knowledge, the only major tank car leasing firms that
purchased 8K Type 11s new were NATX and (surprisingly) GATX (SHPX
wasn't formed by AC&F until the mid-1920s). I have a 1914 builder's
photo of NATX 350 but, unfortunately, NATX's ORER entries provide no
information which would make it possible to know how many of these cars
they owned, how long they lasted, or how they were numbered in later
years. I also have a 1915 builder's photo of GATX 4397, which is shown
in the 3/28 ORER as one of 149 cars in the 4350-4874 series - but,
again, the later ORER entries are largely worthless in trying to
determine which of these cars (if any) were still in service after WW
II under their original numbers. GATX probably acquired some
additional cars of this type second hand in the 1930s when they were
buying up privately owned tank car fleets right and left, but I have no
photographic evidence. UTLX also picked up some Type 11s in the same
fashion; I have a (very fuzzy) in-service photo of UTLX 78305 and there
seem to have been a sizable number of similar Class Z cars scattered
through the 71000-78499 number series. California-based private owners
with 8K Type 11s included Associated (AOX 900-933) and Union Oil,
though Union's 1930s renumbering made it almost impossible to discover
what the number series was in later years. Texaco also owned a bunch -
I have a builder's photo of TCX 2777 and an in-service shot of TCX
2792 - but during and after WW II most of the TCX cars were absorbed
into the GATX fleet where it's anybody's guess how they were numbered.
This probably isn't as much help as you'd hoped for, but it's the best
I can do.

Richard Hendrickson