Re: Great photos - grain doors

charles slater

Richard in the 1970's we used to get a lot of box cars loaded with wheat or flower going to General Mills in L.A. that looked like this and it was a paper and past seal because the cars were fumigated in transit to keep the weevils out. Sometimes they would even use newspaper for the seal. The cars also had a poison placard taped to the car side or nailed to the tack boards.
Charlie Slater

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
From: rhendrickson@opendoor.com
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 09:50:11 -0800
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Great photos - grain doors

On Dec 15, 2007, at 9:18 AM, gn3397 wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Ned Carey" <nedspam@...> wrote:
Note the GN boxcar in the forground. It has what appears to be
remnants of a grain
door. Can someone explain this to me? Is this the door in normal use,
i.e. some of the
door shows while the car is carrying grain? Alternatively is this a
case of the door has been
used in the past and remnants of the door remain, simply no one
bothered to remove
them. I think this would be a terrific detail to model.

Mr. Carey,
Actually, you aren't seeing a grain door. What you are seeing is a
heavy paper door seal
to prevent contamination of the boxcar's contents from moisture, etc.
A grain door is a
wooden door comprised of horizontal boards that is nailed to the
inside of the wooden
door posts of steam era boxcars. These seals could of course could be
used for protection
of other ladings as well. I have photos of other series of GN boxcars
with these seals in
place, but haven't ever seen it modeled. Hope this helps.

Mr. Heniger is correct. There will be numerous photos of cars with

these waterproof paper door seals in my forthcoming Speedwitch Media

book, Focus on Freight Car Vol. 2, all of them on cars loaded with

bagged flour.

Richard Hendrickson