Re: Great photos - grain doors

charles slater

For what EVER reason, the cars were fumigated to kill or keep the bugs out or keep them from hatching in transit. Just trying to help. Take it or leave it. I am NOT a farmer.
Charlie Slater

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
From: Ljack70117@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 19:04:49 -0500
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Great photos - grain doors

FYI you can not keep the weevils out of the wheat. They are on the

wheat in the field and lay their eggs on the grain. even if the

fumigation kills them the eggs hatch and yo have ore weevils and more

eggs. Buy a bag of flour and let it sit in a warm room on a shelf

for a month or so and then open it. Ask yourself where did all the

weevils come from. Weevils do not get into cars of wheat when it is

in shipment. They are already there when it is loaded.

Larry Jackman

ljack70117@comcast.net

Boca Raton FL 33434

I want to die in my sleep like

my grandfather did, not screaming

like the other poeople in his car.

On Dec 15, 2007, at 6:50 PM, charles slater wrote:

Richard in the 1970's we used to get a lot of box cars loaded with
wheat or flower going to General Mills in L.A. that looked like
this and it was a paper and past seal because the cars were
fumigated in transit to keep the weevils out. Sometimes they would
even use newspaper for the seal. The cars also had a poison placard
taped to the car side or nailed to the tack boards.
Charlie Slater
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
From: rhendrickson@opendoor.com
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 09:50:11 -0800
On Dec 15, 2007, at 9:18 AM, gn3397 wrote:
--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Ned Carey" <nedspam@...> wrote:
Note the GN boxcar in the forground. It has what appears to be
remnants of a grain
door. Can someone explain this to me? Is this the door in normal
use,
i.e. some of the
door shows while the car is carrying grain? Alternatively is this a
case of the door has been
used in the past and remnants of the door remain, simply no one
bothered to remove
them. I think this would be a terrific detail to model.
Mr. Carey,
Actually, you aren't seeing a grain door. What you are seeing is a
heavy paper door seal
to prevent contamination of the boxcar's contents from moisture,
etc.
A grain door is a
wooden door comprised of horizontal boards that is nailed to the
inside of the wooden
door posts of steam era boxcars. These seals could of course
could be
used for protection
of other ladings as well. I have photos of other series of GN
boxcars
with these seals in
place, but haven't ever seen it modeled. Hope this helps.
Mr. Heniger is correct. There will be numerous photos of cars with
these waterproof paper door seals in my forthcoming Speedwitch Media
book, Focus on Freight Car Vol. 2, all of them on cars loaded with
bagged flour.
Richard Hendrickson