Boxcar details and paint, series GN 20500-21449

Mark Heiden

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some construction and paint information regarding
some Great Northern 40ft steel boxcars, series GN 20500-21449. A
prototype photo of GN 20971 is available at:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/gn/gn20971bkg.jpg

My questions are:

1. What sort of running boards were these cars built with?

2. What sort of brake wheels were these cars equipped with?

3. Did the entire series have Superior doors?

4. Were ASF A-3 Ride Control trucks used on the entire series?

5. When were these cars built? I have seen both 1951 and 1952 listed.

6. Having been built in the early 1950s, I am guessing that GN 20971
is still in it's original paint. Is there a good decal set for this
scheme? Right now, Champ BRH-31 looks good.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden