Re: TOFC

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Craig Wilson wrote:
"There are other references too if you do some searching for BAR
photos. I found one of the later BAR trailers on a 50-foot (ex-PRR)
Trailer Train flatcar.

I have done models of a few of this for a friend who models
Maine/New Hampshire in the late 1950's/early 1960's. The 50-foot
TTX cars can be done from the Bowser F30 kit."

A note on terminology - sometimes, PRR subclasses can be markedly
different cars from the parent class. In this case, the F30 was a
significantly different car from the F30A modeled by the Bowser kit:
http://prr.railfan.net/freight/freightphotos.html?
photo=PRR_470132_F30_E8814.jpg&fr=clF30
http://prr.railfan.net/freight/freightphotos.html?
photo=PRR_474265_F30A_MLC1939.jpg&fr=clF30

If you're talking about the TOFC coversions, that would be Classes
F30D for the early conversions done by PRR, and F30G for the ones
done by TTX.
http://prr.railfan.net/freight/freightphotos.html?
photo=PR475462.JPG&fr=clF30

This is true for several other classes that modelers abbreviate -
R50 (R50B), B60 (B60B). Am I being anal? Maybe, but it's worth the
effort to call things by their right name, especially as there's
always someone, especially newbies, who will take you literally.

These are great projects, Craig - they reinforce my point that you
have to do some work for accurate early TOFC cars. Unfortunately,
none of these fall into Joel's "ready to run (bad hands and weak
eyes)in HO" criteria.

Ben Hom