Re: Transporting Sheep In Open Top Cars

Bob Chaparro <thecitrusbelt@...>

I ran across this image today and it made me think about my recent
post.

This is a link to a Southern Pacific photo in USC's digital archive
collection at: http://digarc.usc.edu/search/controller/index.htm .

This may be the same kind of car, but it's not identical. The
caption reads "Load of sugar beets being dumped into a Southern
Pacific railroad car in Compton, 1910."
http://digarc.usc.edu/search/controller/asset/chs-m5675/CHS-12736

This is the car in my previous post:
http://www.sacramentohistory.org/admin/photo/935_1940.jpg

Are they similar cars? The outside posts don't seem to be exactly
the same plus on the beet car they&#92; posts are pared because they are
actually door frames. The car hauling sheep does not have the top
mounted rods running the length of the car. But I don't know. Maybe
the sheep car is some kind of earlier beet car.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA