Re: Cranberries

Greg Martin

Jerry and all,

To answer part of your question, the New Haven was part of Fruit Growers Express and I would expect that?the vast majority?of the crop was shipped in FGEX (or members equipment) if it were destined for markets that they served. Evidence of this can be found in many shots of?New Haven yards.?If a portion of the crop were to go to markets (read as end users) not served by member roads(FGEX/BREX/WFEX) then those roads would likely have supplied cars for their receivers. But reading a bit on the industry it was fairly well spread out into Wisconsin (served by likely BREX and NWX), Oregon (the Bandon Dunes, Coos Bay area SP served) and Washington State (likely served by WFEX, NP and MLW roads) to distribute in their own markets. Product reaching the LA markets were likely seen in PFE or ATSF and some WFEX cars (likely in that order) based on demand. Some might question the SFRD cars with cranberries, but it make perfect sense as I am sure the folks at Western Fruit Express would request that the Santa Fe supply their own cars into the pool to supply their markets, or at?least allow their car to be reloaded towards home roads?once unloaded with fresh Navel?Oranges that ended up in the PNW, equipment sharing was part of the marketing exchange game. Canadians had their production from British Columbia and Quebec so I? would look for product in those markets in their own cars, but with the vast majority of thier population being within 100 miles of the border some US cars might end up in the mix if they were exporting into the US markets.
?
Greg Martin

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 7:02 am
Subject: [STMFC] Cranberries

I find that L&HR handled 250-400 cars per year of cranberries
originating on the New Haven in 1946-1950. This comes from L&HR
annual traffic reports.

It appears that these were fresh cranberries. One of the reports
explains that loadings were down that year because market conditions
resulted in berries being attracted to canning operations.

A major shipper named is American Cranberry Exchange, half or more of
the total. No location is given.

I assume that this traffic was seasonal, timed between harvest,
Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

Does anyone have more information? Was this handled in reefers?
Whose? What other connecting roads handled New Haven berries? How
much was the total of berry traffic?

May as well say a few things more and get them off my chest: I'm
looking forward to getting bogged (drum roll) down in detail. Thank
you, berry, berry much.

Jerry Dziedzic
Pattenburg, NJ

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.