Re: Per Diem

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Paul Catapano wrote:
Interstate Railroad, I'm told, would collect a group of MTY N&W hoppers, fill them at tipples on the Interstate's line, and haul them back off the property before the "Midnight" Per Diem deadline. I know on some small railroads Per Diem is a large profit item. The late Tim Gilbert probably could provide statistics.
I'm well aware that plenty of roads had practices like this. BUt remember, in the steam era most of us are interested in, it was $2 a day. You can do the math on the "large profit item."

Publishers of books on railroad history