Re: Per Diem

Schuyler Larrabee

Paul Catapano wrote:
Interstate Railroad, I'm told, would collect a group of MTY N&W
hoppers, fill them at tipples on the Interstate's line, and haul them
back off the property before the "Midnight" Per Diem deadline. I know
on some small railroads Per Diem is a large profit item. The late Tim
Gilbert probably could provide statistics.
I'm well aware that plenty of roads had practices like this. BUt
remember, in the steam era most of us are interested in, it was $2 a
day. You can do the math on the "large profit item."

Tony Thompson
Uh, Tony, let's remember what $2.00 was then. It was a LOT more than $2.00 today. A LOT more. A
couple hundred cars, thousands over a large railroad, that was Real Money then.

Christmas Greetings, all.

SGL