From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of tgregmrtn@...
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2007 3:44 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Per Diem and Demurrage

Schuyler,

What I think I hear you asking is:

1.) Did the demurrage clock stop the per diem clock, the answer is NO. One comes into play
(demurrage) as a penalty to
the receiver for keeping a car too long. Per Diem is a method of car accounting to help recoup the
cost of the car. Both
are functions of car accounting department for car utilization.

2.) Was there a check written between railroads for per diem? The answer is? a bit more
complicated. Yes, there were
checks cut, but likely the larger railroads with larger fleets wrote less checks to smaller bridge
lines i.e., PRR wouldn't
likely send much to the New Haven, but I am sure the New Haven was cutting checks to the NYC, PRR,
and the so
forth... Yes, there was a dollar exchange, some paper exchange, and always more than 90 days in
the rears, as it is at
least that in todays world with the class 1 railroads.?This may help some understand why asset
utilization?was and is so
important. If you have plenty of business on your own railroad why would you want to turn your
cars over to a long
haul cross country move, when your share of the revenue stops at?your last junction? Ask Russ?he
was in car
management... Your best asset is your?cars, on your line.?A call to your local clerk or agent for
a "Load Home
Road"?was an easy call and you can't tell me that the clerks?or aganets couldn't get permission to
load empty cars
home... Regardless of the rules applicators made those calls... sans a huge harvest on the PFE
roads of course... 3^)?

Greg Martin ??

riginal Message-----