Re: What Roads Had This Car?

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 30, 2007, at 10:38 AM, proto48er wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote: [snip] ....The 40' single sheathed automobile car model is a
dead ringer for Missouri-Kansas-Texas 69001-69200....
I think that PSC used the 1940 CBC plans for the M-K-T double door
single sheathed boxcar for their models. The 40' single sheathed
double door boxcar with steel ends and "vertical" brake staff
(PSC#15549) represents the M-K-T car as built in about 1937. The
same car, with steel ends and "Ajax" brakes (PSC#15551) is an unknown
to me; however, since the prototype M-K-T boxcars were ALL converted
to single door boxcars by 1945, and were also ALL converted to "Ajax"
brakes at that time. Perhaps a couple of the original double door
cars were converted to Ajax brakes before rebuilding, but I doubt
it. ORER data for EX HT would show this, but none of my ORERs
indicate this.
This all squares with the information I have. The in-service photo I
have of M-K-T 69170, showing it in 5-36 with auto rack markings on the
doors, is a right hand 7/8 A end shot (from the Joe Collias collection)
which doesn't show the hand brake, but the ORER dimensions indicate a
vertical staff, not an Ajax, hand brake, so that's one detail that
would have to be changed on the model (and even then, as you point out,
the cars were all rebuilt as single door cars in the mid-1940s, so
that's a problem for anyone who models a later era).

Richard Hendrickson