From: Steve Sandifer
To: STMFC@...
Sent: 01 January 2008 02:02
Subject: Re: [STMFC] giving a face lift

I talked to Leslie Eaton today to clarify her methods. She is a very gifted modeler.

Her choice of cosmetic for weathering is MAC. http://www.maccosmetics.com
She reports that they are highly pigmented, have no glitter, and are extremely stable. You can put a clear seal over them without the effect changing. However, she says she has cars that have been handled in numerous train shows over the past few years that have not had smearing or the weathering wear off.

These are high quality = high cost. But a little goes a long way and lasts forever. In Houston MAC has two dedicated stores and are sold at places like Macy's, Nordstrom, and Saks Fifth Avenue.

Here are her color suggestions:

Face Powder Blush:
a.. Raizin - rust
b.. Coppertone - lighter rust, often used together with Raizin
Eye Shadow
a.. Charcoal brown - mud spatter, such as 1' on the walls around the base of a building, general weathering
b.. Omega - general brown, lighter than charcoal brown, light dirt
c.. Bisque - lighter still, ballast dust on the lower portion of railcars
d.. Brun - very dark brown/black, oily look, for oil on a concrete floor, dark oily areas on locomotives, tire skid marks
e.. Carbon - matte black
f.. Scene - gray
g.. Greystone - bluish gray, soot from steam locos.

J. Stephen (Steve) Sandifer
mailto:steve.sandifer@...