Paint and lettering for Wabash boxcars, series WAB 20300-20949

Mark Heiden

Hello everyone,

Just a few questions concerning the paint and lettering for some
Wabash, 50ft double door boxcars, series WAB 20300-20949. Prototype
photos can be found at:

http://www.wabash-railroad.com/images/Freight/box-cars/WB420485.jpg
http://www.wabash-railroad.com/images/Freight/box-cars/WB42048F.jpg
http://www.wabash-railroad.com/images/Freight/box-cars/WB420483.jpg

1. These cars were built in 1957. Does anyone know which months?

2. As built, were the roof and running boards painted, and if so,
what colors?

3. Was the underbody painted the same as the carbody?

4. As the photos indicate, the cars were painted with the heart logo
and the "Serving the Heart of America" slogan. I'd like to use Mark
Vaughan's Wabash decals for the lettering, but which set is correct?

While not a paint and lettering question, I was surprised to see that
WAB 20485 had a Champion brakewheel, rather than the Miner brakewheel
I expected. Were the Champion brakewheels standard for this car
series?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden