Re: Athearn C&NW 65 ft mill gon

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Gene,

IIRC, the Athearn 65' gondola is an AAR design from the mid-1940s that was build up into the 1960s. Many roads had cars very similar to the model, though I'm not able to name most with accuracy here at work. It appears to be very close to WP 9001-9050.

The Athearn car is much improved over the Eastern Car Works AAR kit, which has good sides but uses incorrect end castings from their PRR G26 kit. ECW also markets a G26, which can be improved to make a very nice model. (If I can do it, anyone can.)

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Gene Green wrote:

I assume from Richard Hendrickson's post on this gondola that there is an actual prototype for the Athearn 65 ft. gon.

What might that prototype be?

When were gons of this length and general design first built?

The paint schemes I have seen in ads and on Athearn's web site all seem "modern" for this group. Has anyone tried to strip the paint on one and reletter it?

From earlier posts on the Eastern Car Works gondola kit I infer that
the Athearn gon is not correct for the PRR G26. Right or wrong.

Gene Green
Out in the west Texas town of El Paso

Yahoo! Groups Links