Re: Question re 12-Panel boxcars

Larry Jackman <Ljack70117@...>

You may have hit it on the head. But I have never seen a mold or die that could not be changed.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@comcast.net
Boca Raton FL 33434
My parents did not raise
any stupid children. They
sent the ten of us to the
neighbors to play and then
moved. They raised the four
of us that found them.

On Jan 17, 2008, at 8:25 PM, SUVCWORR@aol.com wrote:

Larry,

I can only state what the die cutter told Dick Schweiger. Not my area of
expertise. Maybe the die cutter just didn't want to do it. I don't know.

Rich Orr

In a message dated 1/17/2008 8:05:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Ljack70117@comcast.net writes:

see below

Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@comcast.net
Boca Raton FL 33434
I want to die in my sleep like
my grandfather did, not screaming
like the other people in his car.

On Jan 17, 2008, at 7:50 PM, SUVCWORR@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 1/17/2008 12:10:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mikado2206@hotmail.com writes:

In your post from a month ago, Mark you mentioned C&BT kits 10'-6"
IH,
12-pnl boxcar. Looking at Walthers "Reference" book, I see 3
different kit
numbers listed (193-13500, -10500, -11300) . . . it was my
understanding most of
C&BT's later efforts are more like "Blue-Box" wanna-be's. The
question is are
any of the kit number above the older style kit with separate
ladders,
grabs, etc? All I really want is the body shell/s.

NO.

C&BT on the advice of several well known modelers changed from
separate
grabs, ladders etc. to molded on parts by recuting the dies. Once
the ladders,
grabs etc, were cut into the dies,
Wrong. you can fill any cavities that you do not want. If Brass molds
you use soldier. If steel you can weld. Then you can re-cut the area
as you want it. In My machine shop experience I have saves several
dies and molds that way.
Some times you make a mistake and you cut the area out weld or
soldier a new block in the hole and start cutting again. Easy to fix
mistakes or change things.
there was no going back without making all
new dies. All boxcars produced since that fateful time, have the
details
molded on.

Rich Orr

Yahoo! Groups Links