Re: ATSF Ft L, N

charles slater

The Bulkheads are painted Mineral Brown the same as the car body.
Charlie Slater

To: STMFC@...
From: ajc5150@...
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:41:00 -0600
Subject: [STMFC] ATSF Ft L, N

I have a pair of Sunshine cars to build, one with 46'1" bulkheads, and the

other with 48'6" bulkheads. I am trying to figure out how to finish the

inside facing boards on the bulkheads. Are they painted freight car color,

or should they be finished as one would finish a flat car deck? In the

Sunshine prototype data sheet, car 92065 (w/48'6" bulkheads) is shown and

the boards on the bulkheads seem to match the deck more than the car body

color. Also, it doesn't appear to me to have any lettering on the inside

boards. However, car 92069 (also with 48'6" bulkheads) is shown with the

"Return to..." lettering on the bulkheads. I would expect lettering on

painted boards, but not on unpainted treated lumber. Would white stencils

be applied to an unpainted deck? Can anyone enlighten me as to how these

bulkhead boards appeared?

I plan to finish my cars as they appeared in Sep/Oct 1953, if that matters.

Thanks,

Andy Cich