Re: Tichy Georgia SS rebuild

Don Worthy

I want to thank Tom and Bruce for this help. I do need to ask one more question, although.
It looks to be easier to build the cars that Bruce speaks of but, what were the car numbers that used this "smooth" roof?....for lack of the true name.
Thanks again to both of you
Don Worthy
Ivey, Ga.
Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

On Jan 29, 2008, at 8:21 AM, Scott Pitzer wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
It might be easier to model the home made welded roof ;^) To do
that, I just shaved off all of the seam caps on the Tichy roof. You
can lightly scribe or even use 0.010" styrene rod or half round
(albeit oversized) to model the weld beads if you like.
That's what I intend to do, and fairly soon (a local shop cut the
price
because no one builds kits anymore.)
But how many weld seams should there be?

Scott Pitzer
Scott,

Its hard to tell from photos. The panels appear to overlap at the
seams by several inches, but the joints look relatively smooth.
That's why I did not bother to model the joints at all <G>. It also
appears that the running board supports were mounted on the seams.
That makes sense, since the area is twice as thick, and more than
likely overlies a carline. Unlike the radial roof, which has narrow
end panels, all of the panels appear to be the same width. I count
13 running board supports, 2 at each end and 11 intermediate, so
there are most likely 12 panels in the welded roof.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL