for example.)

From: "Tom Madden" <tgmadden@worldnet.att.net>
Wouldn't the roughness of the painted surfaces have a lot to do with
how "weathered" a car looked? Pullman, in its glory days, repainted its
cars every couple of years. That tells me the glossy surface finishes
of the steam era broke down relatively quickly. Having done a few
(well, more than a few) bad airbrush jobs where the paint went on too
dry, I can certainly see how a rough painted surface would hold soot
and general grime much more readily than a smooth finish. The phasing
out of steam locomotives and the phasing in of synthetic paints (were
they concurrent?) would certainly have changed weathering patterns.

Just a random thought.

Tom Madden