Re: FGE Yellow Color

boyds1949 <E27ca@...>

John,

Good question. I have no answer but offer the following until the
real experts check in.

Last summer I created a number of paint chips using mixtures of
Floquil colors and took them to Strasburg, PA to see how close they
were to the car on display there. Based on that: CN 12 with about
15 drops of Oxide Red in the bottle comes pretty close to the color
of 57708 at the Railroad Museum of PA UNDER THE LIGHTING CONDITIONS
THERE. A different color may be better under different light. The
IM car is just a little bit lighter than that chip under my
fluorescent lighting, so the IM color is OK with me. HOWEVER, the
colors do not match very well under incandescent lighting. I guess
the real test would be to take an IM car to Strasburg to see how they
match up together. I am ASSUMING that the car at Strasburg is
painted the correct color, of course.

John King

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "John Golden" <golden1014@...> wrote:

Gentlemen,

My apologies for the re-attack on this issue but I've searched the
archives for information and did not find a clear answer.

How close is the yellow on the new Intermountain "FGE" reefer to
the
prototype color? In the past I've just used Scalecoat Reefer yellow-
-
which I think is quite close to what Bill Welch uses--but the IM
model
color is way off. The IM color is much softer. Can anyone offer any
insight?

Thanks,
John

John Golden