From: Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@opendoor.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 12:51 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Jack Delano color photos

On Feb 2, 2008, at 10:02 AM, proto48er wrote:

Richard -

I wonder if the backgrounds in your Maxwell photos look correct from
a color perspective. To me, many of the Delano photos seem to have a
color shift in the background which seems to be darker than normal.
Could this be due to the use of the early Kodachrome films? Some of
his shots in the Rockies have the background mountains looking not at
all like what I have seen on location. Surely soot from locomotives
could not have darkened snow on mountains in the distant background
to such a degree. The skies are also much deeper, darker blues. I
wonder if some of this is darkroom "art" on the part of Delano. I
wonder whether he developed his transparencies in a way that
accentuated their artistic (as opposed to realistic) qualities, like
Ansel Adams did with B&W prints.
[snip]

Just wondering what the Maxwell photos show. Different photographer,
different developing regimen??
Actually, the color in the Maxwell slides seems very accurate to me.
These transparencies were shot on early ASA 10 Kodachrome and processed
by Technicolor in Hollywood; in 1941 local color processing was
nonexistent, and Technicolor worked to the highest professional
standards - their primary business was, after all, processing motion
picture film. Jack's exposures were excellent and he stored his
originals very carefully; I see no evidence in my copies of color
shift. I will add that, unlike many subscribers to this list, I spent
a lot of time hanging around railroads and rail yards in the 1940s
where the freight cars were every bit as grimy as shown in Delano's
photos.

To the terminological quibble raised by Mike Brock and others that the
steam era extended into the 1950s, when there were many more new or
repainted cars and the advent of diesels rendered the environment less
dirty, I will just say that I do, in fact, consider the '50s the
transition era, as Mike suggested. On the railroad I model, steam was
still prevalent almost everywhere in the late 1940s but was largely
gone by 1952-'53 and entirely gone by '55.

The point I keep trying to make about weathering freight car models is
that conditions on the prototype changed over time, sometimes quite a
bit over relatively short spans of time. Hence large scale
generalizations are misleading, especially when based on evidence from
later periods. Realistic aging and weathering for the late 1950s and
later is absolutely wrong for the 1930s and '40s (and, to some extent,
the early 1950s).

Richard Hendrickson