Re: FGE Yellow Color

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Larry Jackman wrote:
You missed what I said. No mater what the blueprints called for back then you can not match it today. Even the 2nd batch back then did not match the first batch. No mater what the light is.
Quite true, Larry, but we actually are not insisting on EXACT paint matches. We do want to be in the right ballpark, and often the prototype paint chip does give a starting point. As we have discussed repeatedly on this list, this is less helpful for the darker colors, but one can get into the right kind of range for color hue and tone with the help of prototype info.
Many SP freight car purchase specifications include a list of particular paint vendors, and specific color names from those vendors, which were considered "acceptable" matches to the SP standard color drift panel (from Bowles). But of course, as Larry points out, even successive batches of paint in the same factory were not IDENTICAL, and in any case the railroad was obviously willing to accept a certain range of "correct" colors.
But let's not go from "impossible to match EXACTLY" to the belief that "prototype color has no bearing on model colors." Just tain't so, as far as I'm concerned.

Publishers of books on railroad history