Re: Jack Delano color photos

boyds1949 <E27ca@...>

About 30 years ago, the late Leonard Rice allowed me to borrow and
copy many of his color slides. The dates on these ranged from 1939
to the 1950's. As expected, the Ecktachromes were extremely faded
and of little value. Some of the Kodachrome slides looked like they
had been taken the day before, but many from the 1940's had a very
pronounced magenta cast. All were processed by Kodak.

John King
(who hopes this message will not stir up a hornets nest like the last
one I posted)

Greg
Somewhere I read the great irony that Kodak greatly simplified
and cost-reduced developing Kodachrome film in the 80's or 90's
right at the start of the digital revolution... It sounds like
the technology can be outsourced now -- for example Dwayne's
Photo Service of Parsons KS!
http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/slide-film.html
Tim O'Connor

Greg Martin wrote

We must remember that Kodachrome was a system whereby the
developing was done by a series of dyes unlike other types of
slide
film. My college Photography teacher would say the machine was?
about
2 stories tall (who actually knows) and?Kodack could creat a slide
(transparency) any size they wanted including the one that was on
display in Grand Central Station?of the first man on the moon (As
he
explained supersized anyone remeber it?). Only a Kodak lab could
develop this film, it's not somethig one could do in a darkroom,
like
AGFA or Ecktachrome. It was either spot on or ruined. Kodak
handled
the chemicals in their labs around the country (some by license)
but
never in someones dark room.