Re: Color fun was FGE Yellow Color

W. Lindsay Smith <wlindsays2000@...>

Before the spectrograph, it was difficult to measure colors. Texure
and lighting futher caused differrences. When I was a painter's
laborer in Berkeley CA, it was common for the painter to mix the
colors. He added the tints to get the warmth and appearance he
wanted. In the shops the painters always wanted to make the color
better and added to the pot. One had me add black (soot) to the pot
when we were painting the sunny side of the building so that it would
look like the same color as the shaddy side. So the "standard" color
charts were guidance at best; and even then, the objects did not have
the same color. I think you are emulating the practice as you make up
the paint for old models.
My mother had a yarn shop before 1941 and I used to have to sort
skeins of yarn by dye lot because the colors varied. Even in the
1970s when I was buying Navy electronics, I would have discussions
about the black case color from job to job. Beauty and color are in
the eyes of the beholder.
Lindsay Smith
--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:

In addition to all the other fun involved our models, colors have a
size
as well! Just ask anyone who's bought paints from paint chips and
then
painted walls with it. Damn, too dark... is the usual problem. I
think
Mile and Larry hit it on the head, if it looks right on the layout,
it
is right. For early freight cars that are 'boxcar red' I usually
start
with burnt sienna and add white or black to taste. Burnt umber is
also a
good base color for freight cars that need a more muddy brown color.

Jim Eckman