Re: Chips

Frank Fertitta <frank1357@...>

Great stuff!
And lots OF it!!!

Frank

Mike Brock <brockm@...> wrote:
Doug Harding notes:

And Mike if you are really interested, they raise cattle in Florida, head
inland and look down, be careful where you walk. I don't think the color
of
manure has changed through the years. It is affected by what the cattle
are
eating.
But that's the point, Doug. Florida grasses are quite different from those
in Iowa and/or Wyoming. Wouldn't it be better to match to a chip in the area
of actual use? To add to that, chip colors have probably changed over the
yrs due to changes in grass types and....well...there must be SOME reason
but I'm not sure if the color of such chips might change over time. We
obviously need to hear from someone more versed in chip matters than I am.

Spen Kellogg adds:

"Haven't you modeled those chips on the federal grazing land alongside
your track work climbing up and over Sherman Hill? What color are
those "chips?"

Well, yes, I've tried to determine the colors from photos from the '50's but
one should never trust to film with its color shifts, etc. And, besides,
there's those &%*($$ analopes that were and still are found on the Hill. I
can't tell if the chip is from analope or cattle from photos. In fact, I
think the only sure fire way would be to see them being produced. Tom Madden
doesn't live too far from there...perhaps he could take a quick trip up
there and take some photos of both during production for the archives. I'd
hate for someone to discover that I had used the color of analope chips in
my stock cars. And, don't forget... The cars...once emptied of cattle would
have these floor colors until cleaning. One BIG advantage with this pursuit
of knowledge is that it will help in modeling the ground in the stock pen at
Buford. Hmmm. Wonder if they cleaned that very often?

Mike Brock

Yahoo! Groups Links