Re: Atlas trucks

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 10, 2008, at 1:14 PM, Jon Miller wrote:

I finally received my Atlas trucks that I ordered a long time ago. I
know it was for something ATSF but also I also have the TMW
Bettendorf Swing
Motion for my cabeese. The Atlas trucks are similar but why did I
order
them <VBG>?
There would be a simple answer to this question except that you model
1941, Jon. The Tahoe trucks model the original Bettendorf Swing Motion
design of the 1920s and early 1930s; the Atlas trucks model the later
Swing Motion caboose truck design of the 1940s and '50s, as made by the
Standard Car Truck Co. after they took over Bettendorf's patent. The
later style swing motion truck was used on the wartime (1942-'43) Santa
Fe steel cabooses. But of course you can't model those; all of the
steel cabooses in service in 1941 were built in 1931 or earlier and had
the early style Bettendorf trucks.

Richard Hendrickson