Re: Perishable LCL?

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jeff Aley wrote:
Thanks for the insight. Wow, that means that the wholesale grocer must get a LOT of cars since fruits and vegetables are perishable. If we assume that green vegetables can last up to a week at the warehouse, then each week, you have to have one carload of each kind of vegetable: a car of lettuce, a car of bananas, a car of spinach, a car of cantaloupes, a car of strawberries, a car of celery, a car of broccoli, etc, etc...
Well, kind of. Notice that not all these were harvested at the same time.
BTW my knowledge of PFE operations confirms what Larry Jackman said: there was no perishable LCL beyond the operation of wholesale grocers.

Publishers of books on railroad history