Re: Perishable LCL?

ATSF1226

Wasn't Meat company reefers handled as LCL traffic in smaller towns?
Seems like I have seen something to this effect in earlier messages.

George A. Walls

Jeff Aley wrote:
Thanks for the insight. Wow, that means that the
wholesale grocer must get a LOT of cars since fruits and
vegetables
are perishable. If we assume that green vegetables can last up
to a
week at the warehouse, then each week, you have to have one
carload of
each kind of vegetable: a car of lettuce, a car of bananas, a car
of
spinach, a car of cantaloupes, a car of strawberries, a car of
celery,
a car of broccoli, etc, etc...
Well, kind of. Notice that not all these were harvested at
the
same time.
BTW my knowledge of PFE operations confirms what Larry
Jackman
said: there was no perishable LCL beyond the operation of wholesale
grocers.

Publishers of books on railroad history