Re: Perishable LCL?

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Posted by: "Anthony Thompson" > Now, was meat handled as LCL or was it like Larry discribed?

In the strict sense, only as Larry described, but the meat companies DID have smaller consignments of cut meat to local houses, which they could successively deliver to a series of locations, and thus handled it LIKE the LCL, though not in the sense we usually mean. They were sometimes called "distributor" cars-

I believe these were what I recall from the 60's being referred to a s"stop-off cars". There were tariff provisions for cars to sop enroute for partial unloading. I believe there was a charge for each stop. The stops had to be along a continuous tariff route. You couldn't for example, stop at Dubuque, then Davenport and then Savannah.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478