Re: 1937 AAR Boxcars

Gene Deimling <losgatos48@...>

Tony- I will have to look at that book you made a vailed reference
to when I get home this evening.
Thanks,
Gene Deimling
El Dorado Hills, CA

Gene Deimling wrote:
I was looking through my kits and found two different styles of
sides
for the O scale AAR 1937 boxcar kit from Intermountain. One kit
was
identified as having "shiplap" side plates and the rest
were "crimped
seams".
Did carbuilders offer two different style of construction?
Someone
told me that early purchasers such as the SP received
the "shiplap"
sides
Certainly the SP cars of this general design before WW II
had
shiplap seams (the Bethlehem batch of Class B-50-18 may be an
exception), but some post-war SP 40-foot cars had crimped seams;
the
ones immediately after the war seem to be shiplap. There are a lot
of
SP box car photos in some book, somewhere <g>.

Publishers of books on railroad history