Re: 1940s tank car questions

Mark P.

Ed,

To answer one question:
Did farm equipment run on gasoline?
Yes. Not sure when diesel engines became popular in tractors (I'm sure someone tried it shortly after van/von Diesel built his first engine [in the 1880s? I'm away from research information now]), but our first diesel was a Ford 4000 in 1964. Dad had a 1948 Farmall C and a 1952 860 Ford that ran on gas, an earlier tractor was a Ford 9N that used gas. Two Allis-Chalmers C's I used when helping a neighbor while growing up were new in 1930 and used gas - he is still farming with them! In checking out the local parades, most of the "antique" tractors seem to be gas. Not a scientific answer, but in my limited experience, gas prevailed until the past 20 or so years. Our combines also ran on gas both at home and when I was on wheat harvest in 1981.

Mark Plank

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?