Re: 1940s tank car questions

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 17, 2008, at 3:46 PM, W. Lindsay Smith wrote:

...Still we were unable to go much faster that 4 MPH on the
Grapevine to Fort Tejon grade to Los Angeles. There was no air
conditioning so we pulled up the floor bords to get air in the cab.
Yeah, I know, we're way off topic here, but I can't resist adding to
Lindsay's account that I well remember driving up the Grapevine in the
summer with my family in the years before and during WW II and seeing
truck drivers creeping along in bottom gear with hand throttles wide
open and the drivers standing on the running boards with the door open,
steering with one hand, in order to get out of the stifling hot cabs.
Overheated engines were common, too, and the Calif. highway dept. had
numerous water stops along the route where trucks (and cars too, for
that matter) could cool off and replace the water boiled out of their
radiators.

Richard Hendrickson